Accommodation / Travel
Bielefeld can be reached from any major town by trains running on an hourly schedule (Eurocity train system: marked EC, IC, or ICE on the train schedule). If you are arriving by plane, we would recommend the following airports (the order reflects our preferences):
- Hannover (approx. 110 km from Bielefeld) ICE trains from Hannover to Bielefeld leave at least every hour. The journey takes approx. 50 mins (it is not necessary to change trains). You can take the S-Bahn (departs at least every 30 mins - duration 12 mins) or the airport transfer bus from Hannover airport to the City Air Terminal at the train station (departures every 20/30 minutes, travel time approx. 25 mins) - or you can take a taxi.
- Düsseldorf (approx. 190 km from Bielefeld) From Düsseldorf airport there are direct connections to Bielefeld. ICE trains leave every half hour during day time (duration approx. 1¾ hours). On some connections you may have to change at Dortmund, with the connecting trains stopping at the same platform.
- Berlin (approx. 400 km from Bielefeld) Thanks to the direct ICE train connection travel time from Berlin Central Station to Bielefeld is only 2.5 hours. Trains are departing hourly. Berlin's public transportation service offers a bus shuttle from Berlin Tegel Airport to Central Station, travel time is about 20 minutes.
- Frankfurt/Main (approx. 320 km from Bielefeld) There are ICE trains from Frankfurt/M. airport to Bielefeld (departure at least every hour with a change in Köln or Hannover - journey time approx. 4 hours). There is also the possibility of changing planes at Frankfurt and flying from there to Düsseldorf or Hannover. This is generally more expensive and does not necessarily save time.
- Amsterdam/Netherlands (approx. 320 km from Bielefeld) Flights to Amsterdam might be cheaper and more convenient. Unfortunately there are no direct train connections to Bielefeld, you may travel via Duisburg or via Osnabrück. The journey takes approx. 4 hours. Via Duisburg you have to change trains once; via Osnabrück you have to change twice (there are no Intercity connections on the Osnabrück line).
- Paderborn (approx. 40 km from Bielefeld) There might be the possibility to book a connection flight from Frankfurt/M. or Amsterdam to Paderborn. Please note that the public transportation system from Paderborn to Bielefeld is not very convenient. Please ask the conference office for advice before booking.
Please have a look at the annotated map to get an overview of the distances in Germany and the airports suited to reach Bielefeld. By selecting the bubbles you will find additional information about travel time to Bielefeld, the train connections, the airport homepages, and, car rental services at the selected airport.
Arrival by Train
From Bielefeld's main station the easiest way to get to the conference site is by using a cab. A taxi stand can be found in front of the station at the square to the right. The pricing for one way should usually not exceed 10 Euros. Alternatively you may choose the metro, which is located about 100 meters in front of the main station. Metro tickets are sold by the vending machines on the upper floor of the station. Please buy a type 1 metro ticket for the trip. The red line (4), direction Universität/Lohmannshof, leaves from platform 1. It takes approximately 10 minutes to the conference site located at the stop Universität.
Arrival by Car
When arriving by car on the highway A2, take the exit number 27 Bielefeld-Zentrum. If you are approaching from the east (Berlin, Hannover) turn right, else turn left. Follow the street signs towards the centre (Zentrum), and from there the University (Universität) is signposted via Kreuzstraße, Oberntorwall, Stapenhorststraße, and, Kurt-Schumacher-Straße.
Please watch the announcements or the RSS feed available for further updates of this information.